Tis’ the season for easy recipes. The hardest part of this one is finding a suitable salsa. Many supermarkets carry it fresh in the refrigerator so if you can, avoid the jarred variety. If you find your only options are on the shelf, click the image below for the results of a taste test done by The Daily Meal.
For fresh salsa, a great go-to made with fresh ingredients if you can find it is Casa Sanchez.
If you’re pressed for time and want a flavorful dinner fast, this chicken fits the bill. With a side of rice to soak up the sauce and salad, broccoli or green beans, dinner is on the table in a half hour.
Slice the chicken in half lengthwise and pound between waxed paper or plastic wrap.
Place it in a bowl, coat with olive oil, and flavor with herbs, salt and pepper.
Sear the chicken in a hot pan.
While the chicken cooks, dice the mushrooms.
Smother chicken with salsa, mushrooms, chicken broth, and cream or milk.
Bake and eat.
Chicken, Salsa, Mushroom Bake
- 2 Boneless Chicken Breast Halves
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1-2 teaspoons Fresh or Dried Thyme, Sage or Oregano (or herb of choice)
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
- 1/2 15 ounce container Fresh Salsa (or more), or jarred (see above)
- 8 ounces Fresh Mushrooms, small dice
- 1/2 cup Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup Cream (Milk will substitute but will result in a thinner sauce)
* It is not necessary for ingredient measurements to be exact.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice chicken breast halves in half horizontally; pound lightly between wax paper or plastic wrap to an even thickness. (You can skip this step to quicken the preparation but pounding produces a more tender chicken breast.)
- Place the chicken in a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, sage (or other herb), salt and pepper. Using a large spoon, turn to spread the oil and flavors among all of the chicken pieces.
- Heat an oven safe skillet on medium flame for one minute or until hot. Pour in 1 tablespoon of oil (or use a spray) and cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes a side or until lightly browned with an internal temperature of 155 degrees. (The chicken will continue to cook while in the oven.)
- Take pan off the heat.
- Spoon salsa over the chicken pieces and sprinkle with mushrooms
- Pour the chicken broth and milk or cream over the chicken.
- Place in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes.