This ice cream is delicious and couldn’t be easier to pull together. I make a point of having a pint of cream in the refrigerator in case the need arises. And no reason not to keep the bowl in the freezer … in a plastic bag to avoid burn. Just stir the milk, cream and sugar together and add some vanilla. Or do any number of variations – see below. Then blend it in the ice cream maker (this is a great one from Cuisinart) for about 25 minutes. It’s a bit loud so I usually have it mix in a room I’m not in.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes | Mixing Time: 20-25 Minutes
- 1 cup whole milk, chilled (1% works well too)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream, chilled
- 1-2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, to taste
- In a medium bowl, use a whisk to combine the milk and sugar until the sugar has dissolved, about 1 minute .
- Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla to taste.
- Turn machine on, pour mixture into freezer bowl through ingredient spout and let mix until thickened, about 25-30 minutes.
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (pictured above)
Chop desired amount of a 4 ounce bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate bar (I usually use 1/2 bar) into tiny uneven pieces. Add the chocolate during the last five minutes of mixing.
Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Omit vanilla and replace with 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons pure mint extract. Add chocolate as above.
Credit: Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker instruction booklet